Wednesday, February 1, 2012

14 Days of Green Valentines

Gift Idea #5
Local Flowers (and we ain't talkin' roses!)
The other day, I was talking to my friend Ellen Frost of Local Color Flowers in Baltimore.  As a florist, she loves Valentine’s Day, but believe it or not, she doesn’t advocate buying roses on Valentine’s Day.  Is she crazy??!!!  Not so much.  For those of you living in a Mid-Atlantic state like me, you should know that roses aren’t grown in our area and have to be shipped in from distant locales (which is not so good is you are trying to minimize CO2 emissions!). 

So what to use instead?  Locally grown tulips!  According to Ellen, they come in beautiful shades of red, pink and white and say, “I love you!  I care about the environment!  I support local growers and communities!”

Local Color Flowers will deliver to the Annapolis-Baltimore-Washington, DC area.  If you are outside this area, but want to support farms in your area, find a local grower near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment