Monday, November 21, 2011

United Nations Environmental Programme Finance Initiative Global Roundtable Gala Dinner

Photo by Kieta Mall Skoglund
I was honored when the United Nations Environmental Programme Finance Initiative (UNEP FI) asked me to produce their Gala Dinner on Night 1 of their international Global Roundtable.  Held at the spectacular National Building Museum, I knew I'd have to bring my A-team to ensure an A-game! 

In order for an event to look spectacular at the NBM, you need to have top notch lighting, so I enlisted the help of John Farr Lighting Design.  Years ago, it was John who informed me about LED lighting and not only how it can transform a room because you can easily change the colors of the lights, but how it is truly green because it uses less energy than traditional lighting.  It is also safer because the lights are cool to the touch. 

Next up was Main Event Caterers -- the greenest caterer in town (in my mind at least)!  Awarded Catering Magazine's Caterer of the Year in 2010,they recycle 95% of all glass, plastic, metal cardboard and office paper.  Disposables are 100% compostable and food matter is composted vs. being thrown in the landfill.  Furthermore, they are 100% wind powered and they use bio diesel fuel in their vehicles.  But that is just the tip of the iceberg.  When I ask them that I want food that is local and organic and seafood that is sustainably sourced, they don't flinch.  When I ask for locally sourced wine and beer and organic beverages instead of sodas, they don't blink an eye because they get it.  They truly get it.  Read more about their green initiatives. 

Instead of spending money -- and using lots of fabric -- to separate our cocktail reception in the East Court from the dinner in the Center Court, we asked Dale Harmon at Plants Alive! to select plants that could be placed between the large arches to serve as natural barriers. 

And finally, Perfect Settings provided the rentals, including linens and bamboo chairs, and votives powered by battery operated LED lights.  A very sustainable party rental company, they rent recycle bins and take back all the recycling from your event, reuse linen hangers and actually bale the plastic that the linens come in.  Because of this, I will ALWAYS be a devoted client! 








No comments:

Post a Comment