Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I Unplugged for 10 Days: Part 2

Below is an account of my attempt to unplug completely from email and the internet for 10 days while on a stay-cation.  For those of you who haven’t heard the term, a stay-cation is a local vacation.

My Approach
I thought about unplugging from email about one week to 10 days before my official vacation.  The more I thought about unplugging, the more excited I got.  I not only wanted to make this a project that I blogged about (after the fact of course), I wanted to make this a movement!  I was REALLY serious about sticking to my decision to unplug. 

I knew I’d have to plan a bit before THE BIG UNPLUGGING occurred, so this is what I did:

The Date
Before all this crazy thinking began, months before I had booked a speaking gig in New Jersey on April 21st, and had planned to visit my best friend Lori (yes, we have the same first name!) in the Philadelphia suburbs afterwards.  Because of this, I had already planned to take off the rest of my speaking day and the day after that which was Earth Day as well as Good Friday.  I would be watching my boyfriend John’s young sons during the middle of the following week while he was on a business trip, so I figured it would be easier to take those day’s off, too.  As a result, I just opted to take off from April 22 and not return to the office until May 1st

My unplugging officially began on Friday morning April 22nd, so my unplugging time ran over 2 weekends and I only lost 6 official work days. 

It helped that my time off was right after Easter/Passover, so I figured others might be on vacation and the demands on my time – and my email – might be a little less.  It also helped that I didn’t have an event coming up the following week. 

Other Actions
1.  I was worried that my email box would get overloaded, so I started unsubscribing to junk email I knew I would never read. 

2.  At least one week before my vacation, I alerted current clients as well as regular clients who didn’t currently have an event on the books about my vacation and plans to unplug.  Nobody was concerned and I think a few were envious.  They all supported my endeavor.    

3.  As I’m sure you suspect, I prepared an automatic out of office email and indicated that the office would be shut down for the week and that we would not be checking email until we returned.  I added that if it was a true emergency, people could call my mobile number.  Otherwise, they would have to wait until May 2nd.  I did the same for office voice mail.   

My next post, which I'll make later today, will include a report from Day 1 of unplugging!

No comments:

Post a Comment