Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Greening Our Airports and Airlines and Green Tips When Staying in a Hotel Room

Last week, I traveled from Baltimore to Atlanta for meetings of the International Special Events Society. One habit I have begun is to bring with me my trusty Sigg water bottle since I no longer purchase bottled water (if I can help it). I put in a little filtered water to last me until I get to Security and then when I get through, I purchase an evil plastic bottle of water. In the past, when I've been at Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport, I found one set of recycling containers in my concourse. I'd pour the water from the plastic bottle into my Sigg bottle and then immediately recycle the plastic. This time, the recycling was nowhere to be found. It wasn't until I was in line to board that I saw an airport employee and found out that the recycling bins were about 50 yards away at the far end of the concourse. No time to recycle.

Why don't airports put recycling containers right next to each and every trash can?

On my 2-hour flight to Atlanta, I didn't request any beverages. Do airlines recycle bottles and cans? My very green boyfriend asked this once and when he was told that his can of soda would not be recycled, he held on to it and recycled it at home. Bless his heart.

On my way back from Atlanta, as soon as I got off the escalator to my concourse, I noticed a HUGE paper recycling container...in a corner. That was the only recycling container I saw at Hartsfield. No recycling for cans or bottles or anything else.

On the plane, I brought my own travel mug and organic tea. I asked the flight attendant providing beverage service for some hot water and all was well with the world. No waste here.

I plan to write Hartsfield International Airport in Atlanta and BWI Thurgood Marshall about upping their recycling efforts. Unless we let them how unhappy we are, they'll think we are okay with the status quo.

Green Tip:
Green Tips When Staying in a Hotel Room

  • If you hotel has a linen reuse program (re-use your towel, bedding not changed every day), participate in it!

  • Set thermostat to 65 degrees

  • When you are not in your room, turn off air conditioning, all lights, the television, radio and your laptop

  • Reduce water usage by taking a shower instead of a bath

  • Don't let the water run when brushing your teeth!

  • Unplug your phone charger when not in use

  • Don't leave the bathroom light on all night - bring your own nightlight

  • If the hotel provides a newspaper each day and you don't plan to read it, request that it not be delivered to your room

  • If the hotel has a recycling program for bottles, cans and mixed paper, participate in it! If it doesn't, bring the recycling home with you and recycle there!

  • Support hotels that offer these programs - Kimpton and Fairmont properties have green initiatives. If your hotel does not have any green initiatives, write them and complain!

  • Pick up at least 1 piece of litter every day
This list was inspired by Cisco's attendee tips for Cisco Live 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment